In-vitro and clinical studies of Hypochlorous Acid (HOCl) show it to have impressive antipruretic, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Sonoma’s exclusive Performance Stabilized HOCl formulation not only optimizes HOCl for superior efficacy and safety, it guarantees potency for the life of the product. With virtually no side effects or contraindications, you can utilize Performance Stabilized HOCl as often as needed to cleanse skin, relieve irritations and restore your well-being and peace of mind.
What are the key clinical benefits of Performance Stabilized HOCl (hypochlorous acid)?
Hypochlorous acid (HOCl) is a compound that is produced naturally by Neutrophils in the inmmune system to eradicate microorganisms. HOCl immediately relieves itch and pain, kills bacteria and breaks down biofilm, does not sting or irritate skin and oxygenates the cells in the area treated assisting the body in its natural healing process. Sonoma’s Performance Stabilized HOCl has been formulated to deliver maximum benefits safely throughout the life of the product.
Safely eradicates biofilm and other irritants.
Time Kill Study: In Vitro in solution HOCl Eradication of Pathogens
Greater than 99% reduction in killing 23 different microorganisms
Breaks Down Bacterial Biofilm6
Biofilm formation is recognized as a serious problem in chronic wound infections. HOCl has antibiofilm activity and actively breaks down biofilm and kills microorganisms within the biofilm. Biofilm characteristics include:
- Complex structure of microorganisms that generate a protective shell, allowing bacteria to collect and proliferate
- Most microorganisms that form biofilms found growing in microbial infection
- Adheres to chronic wounds, makes phagocytosis difficult, and increases resistance to antibiotics
Reduce pain, itch and swelling fast.
Reduction in Pain and Itch
Study 1: Open-Label Study2
Open-label, single-arm study over 7 days
HOCl rapidly reduces pruritus in mild-to-moderate atopic dermatitis (AD)
Study 2: Randomized, Blinded, Controlled Study3
- 72-hour study
- Treated group (n=19): HOCl BID
- Untreated group (n=10): No treatment
The mean pruritus VAS scores saw a greater improvement among the treated group than the untreated group between baseline and 72 hours post application
HOCl for Inhibition of Mast Cell Degranulation
- Prevents allergen and calcium-induced mast cell degranulation for up to 8 hours after a single exposure in vitro
- Reduces wound inflammation that inhibits healing
- Stabilizes the mast cell membrane to inhibit the cell machinery for granule secretion, while not altering the signal transduction pathways or calcium mobilization
- Inhibits degranulation stimulated by antigen or calcium ionophore
*A23187 + PMA is a calcium ionophore; †b-hexosaminidase is a marker of IgE-antigen-induced mast cell degranulation.
Increasing oxygen to the area in need helps accelerate the body’s natural healing process.
- Provides higher levels of oxygen at a wound site after application
- Elevated blood and oxygen flow increases wound-healing nutrients
- HOCl is a known vasodilator
Assists Wound Healing6
Wound healing involves a complex sequence of events. Fibroblasts are the primary synthetic cells in the repair process of most structural proteins used during tissue reconstruction.
At lower concentrations of HOCl, the percentage of fibroblast migration exceeded that of the control at 24 hours.
Effect of HOCl on Skin Fibroblast Cell Migration in a Wound Healing Assay